About Me

My photo
Montreal, Canada
I am a Nanima twice now. Nanima in Indian language means maternal grandmother. Paternal grandmother is Dadima. Although I am of Indian origin, I was born in East Africa, and so I have the African influence in my cuisine. I now live in Canada. Why the blog? Three main reasons: (1) One of my daughters thought that I needed another hobby. (2) Now that I am a Nanima twice, I would like my grandchildren (and children, for that matter) to learn their Nanima’s culinary culture. (3) We will get to eat a delicious Indian meal once a week!

Monday 2 September 2013

Kuku Paka


The  youngest of my 3 daughters (4 years old in the picture) is now a grown young adult.How time flies!
She is the only one who lives in Montreal and is closer to me, both physically and emotionally.

This is what she texted me recently: " I love you and papa so much... and our family."
My response: "Ahhhhhhh! That is the nicest thing I have heard all my life. We love you all a lot too."

That is my daughter: sensitive, kind and loving. How lucky we are to have you, Ingrid.

When I now look at her, she has grown into a beautiful young adult, soon to be a mom herself. How proud I am of her.

Often when she comes home for dinner, Kuku paka is what I make since it's one of her favourite meals.

Kuku paka is a rich chicken curry with coconut milk.It is an East African dish. Kuku in swahili means chicken; paka is coconut.

 Ingredients: 

(serves: 4)

2 Tbsp Oil
 1 small Onion
1 medium Tomato
1 tsp Garlic
1 tsp Ginger
1 tsp Dhana jiru
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1/2 tsp Chili powder or flakes
1 pkt Meatless chicken strips
2 Tbsp water
3 Potatoes (boiled, quartered)
3 Hard
boiled eggs
1 tin Coconut milk
Fresh Coriander leaves

 Method: 


 Saute onion in oil until soft
Add the next 7 ingredients and cook for 1 minute
Add chicken strips and 2 Tbsp water and mix well
Add coconut milk
Add potatoes and eggs (cut in half) and cook for 2 to 3 minutes
Sprinkle with fresh coriander
 Serve hot with rice or crusty bread

2 comments:

  1. Love the blog!!
    Hope the next post will be coming soon... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sybs. Just posted the next one
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete