About Me

My photo
Montreal, Canada
I am a Nanima twice now. Nanima in Indian language means maternal grandmother. Paternal grandmother is Dadima. Although I am of Indian origin, I was born in East Africa, and so I have the African influence in my cuisine. I now live in Canada. Why the blog? Three main reasons: (1) One of my daughters thought that I needed another hobby. (2) Now that I am a Nanima twice, I would like my grandchildren (and children, for that matter) to learn their Nanima’s culinary culture. (3) We will get to eat a delicious Indian meal once a week!

Sunday 22 September 2013

Apple Chili Sauce



Autumn has to be my favourite season. One of the reasons being it's apple picking season and lots of vegetables are in abundance and are cheap. Having a farmer's market close by is very useful too.
When my girls were younger, apple picking, in Rougemont, was one of our favourite activities.The farmer used to transport us from the car park to the orchard in a wagon, which was a lot of fun. And then, of course, we got carried away and picked quite a few bags of apples. Once at home, I had to look for recipes to use up the apples before they became rotten. I came across one that I now have used for years, the Apple Chile Sauce. It's an excellent condiment for pâté Chinois. It also has all the ingredients that are in abundance in autumn. 

My husband, who is French Canadian, loves his pâté Chinois. In fact that was one of the first meals he made for me when we first met 36 years ago. I think that was the only meal he knew how to cook at the time!   
The meal reminds him of a period, after the death of his father, when his mom, (36 years old) had to care for her7 children. It was one of the meals she made very often since it was cheap and easy to make.
Now my husband  appreciates it even more with the homemade Apple Chili Sauce.


Ingredients:
12 medium-sized tart apples (I usually use Macintosh)
6 medium tomatoes
6 medium onions, peeled
3 green peppers, stems and seeds removed
3 red peppers, stems and seeds removed
1 stick cinnamon 
1/4 cup pickling spices
5 cups sugar
4 cups cider vinegar
2 Tbsp salt

Method:
Chop apples and vegetables finely ( use food processor if you have one) and put in a large pot
Tie spices in a cheesecloth bag and add with sugar, vinegar and salt.
Bring to boil stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 45 minutes.
Discard spice bag and
ladle chili sauce into hot sterilized pint or half pint jars and seal immediately*.
Makes 7 to 8 pints.

Tip
I cover the lid with a red and white cloth and tie it with a red cord. It makes a lovely Christmas gift.

* Canning Safety

No comments:

Post a Comment